Friday, December 9, 2011

Losing It

I have remained very positive this whole semester at my new school. I have not been upset when I miss a test by just a few tiny things, instead, I have been happy that I am so close. I have not let it bother me when a classmate passes a test that I've been trying so hard to get. I've been happy for them....well, now I'm getting mad. What is wrong with me? Why can't I do it? I work harder than most people. I drive farther, I practice more, I transcribe more tests. What's going on???? When is my time? Maybe I'm just burnt out about the end of the semester and I just need a break.

Everybody learns differently, and apparently I take longer to learn court reporting than most people. It's hard for me to accept that because I've always been the type of person who picks up on things easily, and now I'm not. It makes me feel dumb and I hate it.

Any words of encouragement?

3 comments:

  1. I have felt the exact same way you are feeling now, and no, you are not dumb. You said it yourself, everybody learns differently and we all have our own pace.

    Maybe a break is just what you need. I have found that stepping away from my machine for a day or two helped me refocus my energy with much success.

    Take a deep breath, sip some tea (or whatever makes you warm and fuzzy) and come back to it. If you don't get the results you're looking for, take the rest of the day off and try it again tomorrow.

    Sometimes we get in our own way. You can't take a hill in 5th gear. Slow and steady wins the race.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take heart! It could just be end-of-semester burnout. Take a few days off, and then get back to practicing over the break. It will fall when you're ready.

    When you get back to it, keep practicing above your speed level. I progressed the fastest in school when I continually pushed myself. My notes weren't the prettiest, but they do clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It helps to know I'm not alone in my frustration.

    ReplyDelete