Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A minor accomplishment, but an accomplishment all the same

At my school, when a student passes their 130 exams, and moves up to 140 goal speed, they now have to start four-voice testimony. Four-voice testimony and I don't have the best relationship. We've definitely had a rocky start. Before I reached the 140 class, the most I had to do was Q and A; there is only ever two people at the most to take down. Q and A isn't so bad because if I miss a Q or an A sign change on my machine, I can usually figure out where I missed it and and can fix it in the transcript, but on a four-voice testimony, it's not so clear. I can't cheat by putting them in later. It's also hard because there's not really four people talking during the test; it's just my teacher with a light board. When I get nervous, I look at my hands. During a four voice test, I'm usually nervous so I have been really trying to force myself to look at the lights and not at my hands, but it's a hard habit to break.

So, the question we all want to know is: How did I do? Well, I got over 87% of it, which is only okay as tests go. But I'm really proud of two things: The first is that I didn't miss a single speaker, I had all the sign changes in there. And the second is that, I made a huge mistake in the middle of the test, but I didn't give up like a usually do. I let it go, and finished strong! Hopefully I'll do even better on the next one.

Totally unrealated, but it's my husband's birthday today. Happy birthday, honey!

1 comment:

  1. Those four voice test are so crazy. When I got through my 130's and hit the four voice ... I was totally shelter shocked! It's hard, but instead of fighting it ... I'm not making four voice my friend =) Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete