Monday, December 7, 2009

Victory at last!

I know, I know, it's been forever since I updated this thing. Honestly, I don't have very good excuses. Basically, I got really sick of writing that I still didn't pass a test. Well, no more. I passed a 5-minute 140 wpm, jury charge!! It only took me the whole semester. Eighteen errors are allowed for the whole transcript in order to maintain that 97.5% accuracy. Well, I made exactly 18 errors. Not amazing, but I'll take it. Thank the Lord. I have been getting so frustrated with myself, I don't know what would have happened if it didn't happen soon. I still have to pass a 4-voice and a congressional, but at least it's a good start. I have one more week of school, so maybe I'll get one more in there. We'll see.

The new kitten seems to have made herself quite at home. I named her Puppy, 'cause that's what I really wanted. She is very sweet and very rambunctious. She likes to eat wires though, which is bad. So far, she's eaten my cell phone charger, my laptop charger, and the mouse to my laptop. I think I'm understanding how she ended up out on the street. She is getting mighty expensive. I'd better hurry up with the court reporting thing and make some money.

3 comments:

  1. First, YAY! for you and passing your test...very proud of you.

    Second, rub citrus on the cords - cats hate citrus (use an lemon or orange peel).

    Three, I was just on a jury this last week (first time ever and and it was so much more stressful than I ever thought it would be!). Anyway, I got to talking to the court clerk and told her all about how you were in school for court reporting. She said to tell you to stick with it because not a lot of people can do it and everyone in the court sustem is in awe of court reporters!

    Almost Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Good tip about the citrus. I never thought of that. People told me to use hot sauce but that just seemed messy and mean. I just hope the citrus isn't too sticky.

    How was jury duty? Did you hang the bastard? Just kidding. I'm sure you were fair and impartial.

    Miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jury duty was really eye opening. I'm going to be straight up have an let you know that I totally tried to get out my civic duty (and failed miserably). However, we did convict the guy (who is a bad man and guilty as hell) and I learned some really important things about the judicial system:

    1. People can be mentioned in the trial and even take some part in a crime and never testify or be charged with anything.

    2. Evidence can be introduced in the opening statements and then never refered to again.

    3. The state can present a less than compelling case but if the defense is unpleasant and presents a worse defense - the defendent is screwed.

    4. Sometimes you can sit through an entire weeklong trial and tons of evidence and the only thing that you need to make convictions on 5 charges is a single sentence and the description of the charges.

    5. The Alaska State Court System buys an awesome lunch (hello all you can eat fudge!) for their jurors.

    P.S. I totally left your address in Texas so your Xmas card and gift are going to be a bit late this year - Oops!

    ReplyDelete