Wednesday, August 26, 2009

congressional tests and club officers

Here I am day two, and I've decided that I'm going to write this entire blog on my steno machine whenever possible; it will give me a good reason to set everything up. I can be so lazy. Sometimes, I don't practice just because I don't want to take my machine out of my bag. How pathetic is that? I feel like I'm well intentioned but I have no follow through. I tell myself I'm going to practice a certain thing as soon as I get home, but after the hour drive, I always do something else. But now, I'm sitting here on my machine, I'm writing pretty slowly, but at least it's a start.

My cat is sitting here next to me staring at me. I don't think she has any idea what I'm doing. It must be nice to be a cat...I digress.

Yesterday, I mentioned different kinds of tests. Today in class we did a congressional test. Basically, it's a test that consists of a speech to, or by congress or the house of reps or the president or anything like that. It usually has very large words that seem to come very fast. There are good things about this kind of test, though. The main one is that only one person talks so I don't have to worry about putting a speaker change in there. Plus, California only requires congressional tests to be 95% accurate. It doesn't seem like a big jump from 97.5, but, I assure you, it is. Despite these two things, I did not pass my 140 test today. I didn't even pass the 130 test today. (Remember those days I told you about? Today was one.)

What I did manage to do today was meet with the club officers. I am now the new vice president of the court reporting club at Cerritos college. I'm pretty excited about it because the other officers are all friends of mine. In the past, most club officers have been high-speed students but, this year us mid-speed girls are gonna give it a go.

We are going to organize fund-raising and try to setup some fun things all the students can do. I think it's important to have a support system so, I really want to make sure everyone one knows that everyone else is behind them. It's easier to stick to personal goals that way. We also want to get some great guest speakers. Any ideas on who we should get to speak?

I'm still new to this whole blogging thing so it may take me a little while to get everything working. Please bear with me and let me know if there is something I should be doing that I'm not.

That's all for now, let me now how you feel about congressional tests. I used to say they were my favorite, but after today, I'm not so sure.

4 comments:

  1. I feel ya on the cat thing. I think that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's NEW not Knew. By the time I registered and loggedin I forgot your point (and mine)
    Love, your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get the guy who does the CC for the Oscars. Maybe she'll tell you all the dirty stuff that happens when the camera is off but the mics are on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fixed the typo. I've got to be more aware of those things. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete